Monday, June 10, 2013

Grapefruit Surprise

I love my SodaStream soda maker and I love Squirt soda… but the grapefruit Soda Stream gunk is not Squirt….. hmmmmm.

I was at a winery in Valley Center a little while back – Triple B Ranch – and while growing grapes for some decent wine, they were growing some awesome citrus. I picked up three of the most perfect, and huge, ruby grapefruits I’d ever seen, for only a dollar.

Come to find out, if you make a potent grapefruit/lime syrup and mix it with your bubbly water – all natural Squirt-ish soda you have!

To make the syrup potent, I always add a bunch of grapefruit zest, and every time I’m always super annoyed that there are little pieces of junk in my soda – but worse, they would get stuck to the glass and be impossible to clean out! I had tried straining it out, but it was virtually impossible. But then – the lightbulb flashed on – instead of zesting, I cut the rind off in long thick strips, and cooked it as usual. Now the surprise: when I took out the big pieces of zest after cooking the syrup , I ended up with some AMAZYING candied grapefruit!!


Here’s how to do it:

2-for-1 Grapefruit Goodness
Ingredients:
  • 1 ruby grapefruit
  • zest from the grapefruit, cut into long wide strips
  • Juice from half a lime
  • 1-1/4 cup of sugar, divided
  • Splash of water
Directions:
  1. In a small pot, over medium heat, add the zest, lime juice and one cup of sugar.
  2. Measure out the juice from the grapefruit to measure around ½ a cup. If you have a little more, that’s ok, if there’s a little less, use the water to make up to at least ½ cup.
  3. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Let boil for around 30 seconds. Take off the heat, cool to room temperature, and strain and reserve the stuff in the strainer.
  4. Put the remaining ¼ cup of sugar in a shallow bowl. One by one, coat the strained grapefruit zest in the sugar. Set the pieces on a silicone mat or parchment paper and let dry for a couple hours.
  5. Keep the syrup in the fridge for up to a month and the candies in an airtight container in the cupboard. To make a soda, add around a shot glass worth to a pint glass of bubbly water. To use the rind – just put in mouth and enjoy.
  6. Substitutes: This recipe is pretty great for lemon lime syrup, just use half lemon half lime juice and zest, and orange syrup with same measurements, just orange.
I love bubbly water. I love grapefruit. But most of all, I love not having to throw away a piece of food – even if it’s a little piece. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment